One of the abbot’s ambitions (from St. John’s in Collegeville) was to have a large farm which would supply cereals, produce of every kind and cattle for the college. For this purpose he purchased a section of land near West Union, Todd county, about 40 miles from the Abbey, in 1881. Here he built a spacious brick building, which was called St. Alexius Priory, and placed in it several lay-brothers under the direction of a priest who at the same time served as pastor for the Catholics of the vicinity, as there was not church at Osakis at the time. The farm was operated for about twenty years and then disposed of.
One of the large rooms of the priory had served as a chapel, at which the Catholic farmers assembled for Sunday services. In a few years the chapel proved too small and a frame church was built near by; it was also called St. Alexius Church, and in 1899 was moved into the village of West Union.
St. Alexius Faith Formation: Please refer to the Teen Corner and Christina’s Blog for more information! Christina’s Blog
Trustee’s of St. Alexius Church:
Please click on the link for the latest Pastoral Council and Finance Council Minutes: Councils – Minutes